Friday, May 1, 2009

The Unofficial King of Punk


I never knew Bob Noxious of The Fuck-Ups. I knew of him – everybody did that was involved in the early 80s hardcore scene in SF. He and a handful of other notorious punks - Mark Dagger, Spike, Denz - known more for their antics than their bands, were part of the punk glitterati, the scenesters who unofficially ran the scene…by brawn. In the unofficial hierarchy of SF punk, Bob was top dog.

Yesterday, I learned that Bob passed away on Xmas eve. Even though I hadn’t seen or heard of him in 25 years, I was interested in his demise and did a little research to see what happened. He apparently passed peacefully at home due to liver failure, surrounded by family and friends. I assumed his demise would be violent.

In my research, I stumbled upon copious eulogies from his friends, acknowledging his status in the punk scene and admitting that he was sometimes difficult to be around. This outpouring humanized him to me. I only knew him as the guy that fucked everything up.

This was my favorite eulogy:

“BOB TRIED TO GIVE ME SHIT ONE NIGHT, I TURNED TO HIM AND SAID " I AM NOT AFRAID OF YOU" HE THEN SCRATCHED MY FACE WITH HIS SPIKED WRIST BAND. AS I STARTED TO BLEED FROM THE SCRATCH I SAID " WE ALL BLEED BRA!" EVER SINCE THEN WE WERE TIGHT. I WILL MISS YOU BRO”

Bob was somebody everybody wanted to know. Whether you liked him or not, you talked about him – what he did, what he said. He was watched and admired in dysfunctional way. He was the meter of punk and knowing him, seeing him, talking about him (like he was your friend) elevated your status.

I didn't go to see his band for the music, I went to see what was going to happen. It was an event that usually ended up in fights and high drama. I went for that, for the story it gave me the next day. It’s the same way people used to go see GG Allin. If you got shit thrown on you, it was a better show.

Just by writing about his death, I’m still trying to get a piece of him. And I’m still talking about him, trying to elevate my status and gain acceptance in the long defunct hardcore scene of SF.

Bob will be remembered.


(photos courtesy of the dmr twins)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dumps

  Loris is an old tobacco town. At least I think it is. I’ve never inquired about its history. If I were driving with someone- someone local...