Tuesday, July 7, 2009

You’re Like All Dads

I mean, come on, wouldn’t you be pissed if your dad distracted you from your Wii game and you lost because of it? I sure would. And wouldn’t you want to challenge him to a game and say, “I want to kill you at this?” Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Luckily I wasn’t the dad or I’d feel completely different.

While the 9 year old cooled down in the living room, my head laid against the shoulder of their dog. The dog didn’t seem to mind and it was quite relaxing. Testing out my pre-teen whisperer skills, I tested the tumultuous waters, offering her a spot next to me on the dog’s stomach. I was trying to be the cool dad or, more like, the cool friend of the dad. We would talk it out and everything would be alright. Fantasy, right?

Appearing to calm down a bit, she moved to lie down. Feeling pretty good about my parenting skills, I said in a loving manner, “Put your big head here,” gesturing to the dog’s stomach. She abruptly stopped and gave me a menacing look: “Big head? You’re like all dads.” And she stormed off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dumps

  Loris is an old tobacco town. At least I think it is. I’ve never inquired about its history. If I were driving with someone- someone local...